Saturday, December 11, 2010

Ever do anything you regretted?

I have done alot of things I have regretted. Some of them I won't talk about here. However one thing I regret doing I can talk about here.  In 2003 or so I bought a stock car roller from Camcoupes in Oklahoma.  It was a chevy metric car roller with a 32 Ford fiberglass body.    It had a roll cage and rear end in it. I bought this used with just a few hours on it. It had been raced.  But it was in fine condition. Maybe later I can post some photos of it when I got it. I put a 305 Chevy V8 in it, Chevy automatic transmission (the engine and transmission came out of an old station wagon!) We installed bucket seats, harnesses, speedometer, horn, guages,(I found out after getting a speeding ticket with it that the speedometer was off!) we welded up bumpers out of steel tubing, put a stock car racing gas tank in it, new racing radiator and lights and windshield.  We also installed side pipes with flow through mufflers.  We, I say we, because my good friend Ryan Benson helped by doing the welding!   I had to get it inspected by the State of Iowa to get a title for it.  Here is what is looked like when I was done with it.




This car was so so fun to drive. On a summer's eve, my wife Diane and I would go to Cedar Rapids and drive around. Lots of comments as you can imagine.  We had it painted up to witness to our faith in Jesus Christ. The number 0 stood for our standing in Jesus Christ. In Him we are declared righteous and God sees us just as if we had never sinned (even though we do sin and I am a sinner!)  God does this by the death of His Son Jesus Christ on the cross!  A good friend Diane SyWassink painted on some lettering and a beautiful cross on the front radiator cover.  The car was painted red and white on purpose. The red represented the blood of Christ that washes us from our sin. The white represented the white robes we will wear one day that represent our righteousness that is a gift from God.   I sold the car because I wanted to buy an airplane project. The airplane project ended being sold too because I discovered there was no way I could afford to finish it. The street legal Camcoupe was sold to a guy in California. I wonder what it looks like today? The fellow who bought is said he cut the top off of it...I bet it looks pretty neat!
I have wished on many a day that I had the car back.  It was crude by hot rod standards, but boy it was fun to drive!  Maybe someday I will build another one!

No comments:

Post a Comment