Saturday, November 6, 2010

Stock Car Racing..when the big cars came to the track!

Once a year, the IMCA stock cars came to the Columbus Junction track. It was always during the county fair time.  And it was a big thing for a  young boy like me to see the new big cars! These were not the older cars, but the late models! Ernie Derr ! Ramo Stott! (my family had a Plymouth family car so these were my guys!) Ron Hucherson, Ole Brau, and others.  I can remember sitting in the stand, and Ernie Derr pulled out for time trials in his number 3 Plymouth (the only year I think he drove a Plymouth) and opened up the Hemi motor! Boy of boy did the stands shake! (Yes he did drive a Plymouth- check out this photo-
Note the hauler of the timess this was no semi or no trailer!)
Ramo and Ernie would get after each other!  Oh to see them race again!  I wish! Here is a photo above of them at the Iowa State Fair grounds, I think! Ramo in #0 and Ernie in #1. Oh how I long to see racing again where the stock cars looked like cars people drove on the street!  You could tell who had a Ford, who drove a Dodge or Pontiac!

2 comments:

  1. I grew up on Blondeau Street, half a block from Ramo's garage. Used to go by and watch them all work on the cars and watch the races on the weekend. Seems like Ernie seemed to get the best of the races between the two of them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some how I missed your comment Marty. Wow that would of been neat to see Ramo working on his car. Yes Ernie seemed to get the better some times but as you know not all the times. I think Ernie had more experience, and maybe more money??? Money makes a bid difference in racing. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete